As from 20 April 2015, Camps Bay Drive will be closed for around 5 months (until end September) due to a R20 million upgrade. Expect major traffic delays along the alternative routes to and from Camps Bay during this period.
The project entails the following:
- Camps Bay Drive will be widened by 1,4 metres on the Table Mountain side between Geneva Drive and Rontree Avenue.
- The centre line of Camps Bay Drive will be shifted by 0,7 metres, effectively widening each lane by 0,7 metres.
- The road surface will be improved by removing the top surface (25 cm) and replacing it with recycled material and asphalt.
- Some of the sharp corners along Camps Bay Drive will be slackened to allow for the safe passage of buses in opposite directions.
- There will be no widening of the road between Rontree Avenue and Houghton Road, but the road surface will be rehabilitated along this part of Camps Bay Drive.
- The damaged culvert on Victoria Road in Bakoven will be replaced and this will require a stop-and-go controlled traffic accommodation at this section of the road.
Commuters can make use of Geneva Drive as an alternative route to enter or exit Camps Bay.
Not sure where Camps Bay Drive is situated, maps below: